Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is it possible to "balance" the Spirit and the flesh?

I'm pressing on with this blog. There was so much information shared with us at the retreat - I don't want to let it sit on my desk without a thorough review - and if I'm reviewing it for myself, I might as well share it with others!

In Missy's third session, entitled "The Power for Christian Living" she shared how we try to balance the Spirit with the flesh - this is impossible as the Spirit and the flesh cannot work together (for these are opposed to each other) - this is the biggest reason we experience failure. We looked at Gal. 5:16-26, "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you would. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law. Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do ("prasso" - continual action, habitual practice) such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us have no self-conceit, no provoking of one another, no envy of one another."

We have a choice to NOT obey the desires of the flesh. Missy gave the illustration of our flesh (sin) as grooves in a road - picture a bus driving inside the grooves requiring no effort from the driver other than giving it some gas! It takes effort to live in the Spirit! It does not take effort to live from our flesh.

The Spirit says: forgive - the flesh says: Hold a grudge

The Spirit says: Be temperate, stay calm - the flesh says: Get angry, do whatever you want

The Spirit says: Give that money to someone in need - the flesh says: Spend that money on yourself

The Spirit says: Spend some time in the Word and prayer - the flesh says: You've had a long day; chill out in front of the TV for the evening

The Spirit says: Hold your tongue. What you are about to say is not kind or necessary - the flesh says: tell it like it is!

Sin is easy and comfortable - obedience - is like making new grooves - brings freedom!

Missy took this definition from Steve McVey, Grace Walk:

Flesh - the techniques we use to try and meet our needs, independent of Jesus Christ.

Christ must be our source!

I've got to be honest - I'm struggling with this. There were several times this week I chose to live out of my flesh and the result was not pretty!

5 comments:

the peterson family said...

So how do we in the moment NOT continue in the grooves of our flesh? What does that look like? For me, (which I struggle with constantly) it's memorizing scripture and constantly thinking what God would want in that situation. Like I said, I struggle with this but would love anyone else's perspective on how to turn the wheel from the grooves that seem so natural.

Jacque said...

I have been out of town attending a retreat for women's ministry directors. This was something we heard over and over. . . Christ is our source! We often say that it is our desire, even if not always in practice, to make Him our number one priority - that He "should be" the top of our agenda list. However, I like the illustration of a wheel - if we belong to Him, He is the Center (our source). In fact, He is our life. He desires to live His life in and through us. We no longer live but Christ lives in us! (Gal. 2:20) We are not who we used to be before we accepted Christ. Personally, I think the key is understanding who we are IN CHRIST. The only way to understand, as you shared, is to get into the Word - memorize it - be intentional to "Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God." (Col. 3:1-3)

Heather Larson said...

I just opened this for the first time since the retreat and do not necessarally find this the best subject to comment on... but then a thought...
God has done some interesting and wonderful things in me and within my life in the past 4 week, post retreat. I have a sadly similar story to Missy's, in some creepy details. At the retreat I sat in that place, which began with a big chip on my shoulder that I did not need someone telling me how to live 'better', not knowing God was reaching ME RIGHT where I was... He had No expectations and No pretence. So I went on to accept a BUNCH of my own garbage and come home thinking "Ok, I can only do my personal best to please God... no one else... EASIER said than done sisters! But I take the road God has put before me anyway.
Mother's Day- I ask my hubby if he is going with us to church; the conversation goes something like this... him;"grumble grumble.... grumble grumble"... me;"ok look, if the answer is no please just tell me so I can go about my day & be disappointed privately, if you are coming then I need you to start getting ready." (I was NOT yelling (God no.1))... him; ... me;"I know that was blunt but lets just get this over with so I can move on with my day and not pester you until I am screeming and so angry I can hardly see straight."
Ladies- He got up & came with us. GOD!!! no.2
We get to church. Sweet Mary Jackson pulls him aside and talks with him for like 10 min about how she prays for us, him, regularly and how she came to be at our church and how him being there had completed her Mother's day AND she tells him she wants to give him something related to her missionary grandson-in-law who has just recently passed away.
GOD no.3!!
He come back to church for two more weeks!!! GOD no.4
And maybe best of all he and I talk honest and open about what I heard at the retreat. He responds by being more open with me and trying ever so much harder at loving me in a way that speaks to me, not using his own love language. GOD IS SO GOOD!!!
All I can really say is GET OUT OF GOD'S WAY... It WILL change your life!!!!

Jacque said...

Oh Heather - Praise God! He is always FOR US - not against us! I have tears of joy from reading what you have shared. I pray your hubby knows he is loved by so many at NMC - I rejoice with you that he made the choice to accompany you and the boys to worship together. My post-prodigal story is rather long but basically the Lord called me "back to church" when we lived in Tulsa - for over a year Tim did not come with the kids and I. BY GOD'S AMAZING GRACE I did not nag him (which is something I'm really good at - just ask my kids)but continued to pray and one day he got up with us and has been attending ever since - it was all God - I can take no credit at all. The one thing I've learned from my 55 years on the planet is that I cannot change (make) anyone do anything. However, I can offer myself to Christ (Rom. 12:1). It is up to HIM to produce the Christian life in me. My part is to live by faith (DEPENDENCE) IN CHRIST to allow Him to live His life in me.

Thank you for sharing your heart - I was about ready to shut down this blog due to lack of interest - not now Sister - we are going to keep going!

the peterson family said...

I'm so thankful for the both of you! Thanks for sharing your hearts! It's helps!