Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Since last August when Bill & Paige Loveless came to NMC to share the Christ is Life message I have been praying through Gal. 2:20, I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Needless to say, when Missy shared that her favorite subject to speak on was our identity in Christ – I was totally excited to hear what the Lord had to say through her at our Blooming In Christ retreat.

I have been asking the Lord to explain to me what it means to die to myself. . . I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live. . . but Christ lives in me. I began to imagine two power sources – the main one and the back up generator. I realized that I had been living with myself as the main power source and Jesus was my back up. He wants to be my total power source. With Him, I don’t need a back up! One of my favorite authors, Jennifer Kennedy Dean explains new life in Christ as “Jesus in a Jennifer suit” or in my case, “Jesus in a Jacque suit.” The truth is if we have received Christ, we are a new creation – not renewed but brand spankin’ new!

But what about sin? I was so thankful Missy broached this subject. Sometimes I think that as Christians we think we shouldn’t sin so when we do we don’t tell anyone because we think somehow we haven’t “arrived” or worse, maybe we are not really saved. Satan loves it when we think this because that leaves our sin in the dark – growing like crazy and driving us crazy! If we could only “get” that when we confess our sins to one another, it brings them into the light and they can be dealt with. Sometimes it’s as simple as asking a friend to pray with you. You may need to admit you were wrong and ask for forgiveness. The point is there is a real battle – remember when the Apostle Paul shared his heart from Romans 7:15, “For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.”

Missy shared that the more we refuse our flesh – the weaker it gets and the stronger our faith grows. We have a choice not to obey the desires of the flesh! I loved the prayer she shared, “Lord, I believe I am a new creation, and in my mind and heart, I want to live for You and obey You. I am going to take a step of faith and turn away from what my flesh wants. Lord, I know this pleases You but I also know that I don’t have the ability to pull this off. So I am relying on the power of Your Holy Spirit to enable me to walk in the direction that You want me to go.”

Hallelujah – the flesh will lose power if I resist it – this is a supernatural act of God in me! Missy told us that the amount of fruit will be determined by how much we choose to walk in the Spirit – being receptive to Him. The next time you see me, ask how I have resisted my flesh lately? I need friends to be accountable to. I want to surrender and allow His FRUIT to be displayed in my life for His glory! And I know you want that too – let’s encourage one another!
Blooming Together, Jacque

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie NS DSN said...

Jackie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you learned at the latest women's retreat. I am currently a full time nursing student and pray and read Bible verses on breaks from studying. I would like to live more selflessly through Christ in my nursing education. I will put on my "Laurie suit" (scrubs) and practice nursing skills and knowledge through the Holy Spirit and stop worrying so much. I will make it through nursing school through Christ who strengthens me. Thank you for your encouragement and thanks for sharing what you learned. I do spend a lot of time at this computer and a blog I can handle in my busy life.Sincerely in Christ.

sixpakofmac said...

I loved this retreat! I came home so encouraged and challenged. The Lord impressed upon me to stop being so controlling within my family. I've already had opportunities to stop intervening and stop advising. I also really enjoyed the "girl time". We really do have a special womens' group, and I feel so blessed with my church family.
Blessings, Nancy

Betty Lynn Pepka said...

Jacque, my sister...I wish I would have known about your retreat-I beleive I would've come. I need a fresh indwelling of the Holy Spirit to wash over me. I am focusing right now on life vs living. I heard John Ortberg discussing this...and what word may God use to sum up my life when it is over? It is always the best course for us to let God choose and to follow His direction, knowing as we do that all our heavenly Father’s choices are prompted by infinite wisdom and love.
I shared with my sons (ex) fiancee this:
God always allows choice-sometimes to our downfall when we choose wrong. Lately I have found that if something I was striving 4 seemed 2 slip out of reach 4 a kinda lame reason, it was still God saying no.-so now my response is. Ok lord, so u closed that door-the door I WANTED and u knew it! So please god, don't let me pick up my crowbar to try to ... See More get thru it anyway-WORST thing to do is to be in the middle of Gods plan for someone else NOT YOU--He has another door for you-just be patient with eyes wide open to see it-dont try to hold onto a dead horse either-focus on God-His rainbow promise and move ahead in fait as he directs-listen to only Godly counsel-phillipian_forget those things behind and reach to His high calling-FOR U-that high calling for U
Love u my Lauren. Love u
Momma P
Lord, help me to be content, no matter the circumstance. Help me to want your will, not mine.
Thanks Jacque-I need a prayer partner & friend :)

the peterson family said...

Jacque...I'm so excited about this blog!! I was thoroughly blessed at this retreat. I actually didn't really want to attend but God knew better. He has me there for a reason and that reason was to hear the message Missy gave. I needed to hear "I'M WORTH IT AND I AM A NEW CREATION IN CHRIST". When Missy gave us a list of all the things we are in Christ I was quite overwhelmed. This made me want to be in God's word more to understand the depth of God's love and see how He truly see's me. GREAT RETREAT and MUCH NEEDED!!!

Judy W said...

Jacque - thank you for this blog. I wish I could have gone to the retreat. I am looking forward to your future blogs. This first one was a real blessing to me.