Saturday, June 5, 2010

Missy’s last message to us at the retreat was on learning to abide (to stay, to adhere to, to be rooted, to take a stand and not to waiver).

I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! John 15:1-11 [NLT]

Missy said, “A branch is never weaned – it is always dependent on the vine!” He is the Gardener – it’s His responsibility to produce the fruit in us – our responsibility (respond ability) is to die to self and abide. . . self and fruit bearing have nothing to do with each other. For example, am I going to choose my comfort (sleep) or self-interest (too busy) rather than sit before the Lord? I can’t help but remember what Jesus gently told Martha when she demanded that He make her sister Mary get up and help with dinner? He said “Martha, Martha,. . . you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:41-42). Jesus is saying to each of us. . . You are more important to Me than anything you can do for Me!

Lord, help me to STOP trying to be the vine! Make me step back (yield to Your Spirit) and allow You to do it!

“When I get into His presence, the whole world looks different. When I draw close to His heart, I find mercy when I know I deserve judgment; I find forgiveness for all my petty selfish ways; I find grace for all my inadequacies; I find peace for my troubled heart; I find perspective for my distorted views. In Him, I find an eye in the midst of the storm. Oh, the storm around me may not immediately subside, but the storm within me is made calm.” N. L. DeMoss

What are some specific areas of your life that have been changed by the Word of God and your relationship with Christ?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have struggled over the years with self-worth... Eph. 2:10 has been a very important verse for me to remember- "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." When I think how much planning was involved by the Godhead to make me (in all my frailty and faults) for His glory, it gives me assurance that I am worth it. Nor for just worth's sake, but because of Christ. But He is the perfecter, and I so I can let myself off the hook of perfectionism, which is a form of idolatry (in my most humble opinion!)

the peterson family said...

Well I'm still working on thisw dying to self and abiding in HIM thing. I tend to naturally DO things on my own and it takes effort for me to get into the Word and let Christ DO things in me instead of the other way around. I'm still a process but am eager to see what God wants to DO in me and through me!!

Heather Larson said...

I too struggle with taking time to be in the word and "Let God". And, I too am eager to see what God can do in and through me IF I will just get out of his way and let him.